Many of my clients come to me with one or more of these “shortcomings” or things they want to change:
- Lack of follow through
- Lack of self-discipline
- Not able to stand up for self (may include saying yes too often)
We can use focus to overcome these shortcomings.
Lack of focus is another reason people coach with me. How do we develop focus?
Vibrant Living Tip
There are 4 things you can do to increase focus.
- Burning desire. You have to have a desire that is important enough that you have persistence. Napoleon Hill talks about this in “Think and Grow Rich.” I can remember the first time I read this. I thought – Do I really have a burning desire to do this? I let that word “burning” distract me. Distraction just slows you down. What I realized is that there are things in my life that I persist at. To me, it is that persistence that makes something a burning desire. As opposed to a hope or wish. It’s the action, no matter how small, that keeps you moving forward.
- The will to do it. Will is the ability to give yourself a command and do it. This is just a decision. Having a burning desire, makes this easier. The more you do it, the more you reinforce your will. The more you train yourself to continue. To do it.
- Choose one thought over another. Notice your thoughts. Notice without judgement. It’s the without judgement that is the key. Is this thought supporting my desire? Is it moving me forward? If so, keep thinking it. If not, ask how can I change this thought to support my desire. You may have to sit with this awhile until something comes to you. The more you do it the easier it gets. Replace the first thought with the new thought.
- Action. Nothing happens without action. It’s that action that grounds all this to create the focus to overcome any shortcoming.
Vibrant Living Take Away
Focus only on what you want. Things you desire. Take action. And watch your life change for the better.
Until next time...
P.S. I would love to hear how you have applied this. Let me know by leaving a comment below...